Pennsylvania Hotel

penna hotel

The Masonic Building and the Pennsylvania Hotel were located at 11th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue in downtown Tyrone, Pennsylvania.

 

penna hotel 1972

The building was destroyed by fire on January 16, 1972.

 

penna house bm

The site is now occupied by the Pennsylvania House apartment building.

Photo credit: Bradley Maule

Ward House

ward house a

The Ward House, pictured here on July 4, 1911, was located near the railroad station at 900 Pennsylvania Avenue. It was built in 1862 by Mrs. Mary Ward as a frame house with three stories and a basement, with two wings. The brick portion was added in the 1890s. J. A. Gardner opened his first candy store in this building, and Cosmo Mannino operated a wholesale banana business in the back of the adjoining building.

 

ward house b

 

ward house c

The Ward House, 2002. Mrs. Ward's original fram house, on right, was demolished in 2004.

 

ward house d

The Ward House, 2011.

Photo credits: historic photos, TAHS archives; 2011 photo by Bradley Maule.

Logan Hotel

logan hotel

The Arlington House had been renamed the Logan Hotel by the 1950s. It stood at the corner of Logan Avenue and W. 10th Street in downtown Tyrone, Pennsylvania.

Photo credit: TAHS archives

 

logan hotel demol 1

 

In January, 1969, the hotel was demolished.

logan hotel demol 3

logan hotel demol 2

Photo credit (demolition): Tyrone-Snyder Public Library

Arlington House

arlington house 1906

The Arlington House, Tyrone, Pennsylvania, (ca. 1906) was located at the corner of W 10th St. and Logan Avenue. Note wagon for shuttling customers between the railroad station and the hotel.

 

arlington hse w van

Arlington House, ca. 1920s. By this time, the horse-drawn shuttle had been replaced by a horseless model (see below).

Photo credit: TAHS archives

 

arlington house van

 

arlington hotel 1930s

By the 1930s, the hotel had almost doubled its size.

 

arlington hotel 1942

A postcard view of the hotel after the expansion.

Photo credit: Virginia Dollar

 

 

The Arlington was later renamed the Logan Hotel.

Wilson Theatre

wilson theatre

The Wilson Theatre was located on Pennsylvania Avenue in downtown Tyrone, Pennsylvania.

Photo credit: TAHS archives