Paper mill

The original paper mill located at the north end of Pennsylvania Avenue in Tyrone, PA, was built by Morrison, Bare & Cass, was built in 1880. By the mid-20th century, it had become part of West Virginia Pulp & Paper, later known as Westvaco.

Photo credit: J. Simpson Africa, History of Blair and Huntingdon Counties, 1883, facing page 213.

 

Photo credit: Virginia Dollar

 

This view of the paper mill is looking east, across the shops of the Pennsylvania Railroad in Tyrone, PA. Note the roof of the roundhouse in the lower left corner.

 

After more than a century, the mill is now owned by Team Ten LLC and operated at American Eagle Recycled Paper.

United Brethren Congregation

This two-story, frame structure (at right) is the oldest building in Tyrone. Built in 1855 by the United Brethren Congregation, worship services were held on the second floor. It is located along the railroad, at the corner of Washington Avenue and 12th Street. The first level was unfinished, having only a dirt floor.

The Brethren Church was active in the Abolition Movement, and many Brethren churches and homes served as stops on the Underground Railroad, assisting runaway slaves heading to freedom in the North or Canada. The crawl space under this building suggests its use as a stop on the Underground Railroad, but no historical evidence has yet been found to support this claim.

Early in 1864, the U.S. Government took possession of the building and converted it into a barracks for cavalry troops. During the Civil War, the old church helped with the overflow of wounded from the field hospitals. Later, the building became a theatrical-artist studio for the W. F. Wise Co. When the company fell on hard times in the early 1900s, the building was sold. Since then, it has been used as a warehouse, a woodworking shop, and a flea market.

Photo credit: Bradley Maule

Pennsylvania's state locomotive, the PRR K4s, rumbles past on an excursion in the 1980s.

North Star Tannery

North Star Tannery, established in 1871, covered a large site between the Little Juniata River and the Pennsylvania Railroad, on the eastern side of Pennsylvania Avenue, Tyrone. Employing about 40 men, the tannery handled as many as 125 hides a day. Some of the hides were obtained from Western cities, including Omaha, Kansas City, Chicago, and St. Louis. The product was union crop sole leather, all of which was shipped to Boston.

Photo credit: Virginia Dollar

Cosmo Mannino truck

The delivery truck of the Cosmo Mannino Company, wholesalers of bananas, date unknown.

Photo credit: TAHS archives

Templeton Building

In the early 1940s, this building on W. 10th Street, known as the Templeton Building, was home to the Lugg & Edmonds Department Store, the Harry H. Gardner Clothing Store, and an A&P Store. Lugg’s had a rear exit to Logan Avenue.

Photo credit: TAHS archives