Wilson Chemical Company

wilson chemical co 1

The Wilson Chemical Company building, Tyrone, Pennsylvania (June 1967).

Photo credit: Tyrone-Snyder Public Library

 

wilson chemical co 2

Demolition of the Wilson Chemical Company prior to the construction of the Route 220 bypass (now Interstate 99), May 1970.

Photo credit: Tyrone-Snyder Public Library

The Villa

villa 1960s

Prior to the construction of Interstate 99, The Villa was a popular and well-known restaurant and lounge on East 10th Street in Tyrone, Pennsylvania. The five-star restaurant began as a grocery store. The Panasiti family opened the restaurant in 1936. This view dates to the 1960s.

Photo credit: Dave Panasiti (Tyrone, Pennsylvania)

 

villa pc

A stylized version of the restaurant was featured on this advertising postcard.

Photo credit: Virginia Dollar

 

 

Tyrone Shopping Center

tyrone shopping ctr

The Tyrone Shopping Center, at the intersection of Washington Avenue and West 3rd Street, is home to several merchants, a restaurant, and professional services as well as the Tyrone Area Historical Society office (entrance is located on the right side of the building).

Study Brothers

study bros 1893

Study Brothers & Company, general merchants, were located at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and 10th Street on the former site of the Jones Building and the present site of the Tyrone-Snyder Public Library. Founded in 1853, Study Brothers was the first large mercantile in the village of Tyrone. This view is from 1893.

Photo credit: Larrie Derman (Tyrone, Pennsylvania)

Sterling Oil

sterling oil co sta

The Sterling Oil Company was located behind the former Jones Building in Tyrone, Pennsylvania (1946).

Photo credit: Tyrone-Snyder Public Library