The Ward House, pictured here on July 4, 1911, was located near the railroad station at 900 Pennsylvania Avenue. It was built in 1862 by Mrs. Mary Ward as a frame house with three stories and a basement, with two wings. The brick portion was added in the 1890s. J. A. Gardner opened his first candy store in this building, and Cosmo Mannino operated a wholesale banana business in the back of the adjoining building.
The Ward House, 2002. Mrs. Ward's original fram house, on right, was demolished in 2004.
The Ward House, 2011.
Photo credits: historic photos, TAHS archives; 2011 photo by Bradley Maule.